Beans Paruppu Usili – Toor dal and chana dal is coarsely ground with spices. It is then seasoned and sauteed in oil with boiled beans.
Paruppu usili is one of the popular and traditional dishes of Tamilnadu that goes well with steamed rice and mor kuzhambu or vatral kuzhambu. This is the best example of how exotic the combination of vegetables and dals can be. Dals are soaked and ground to a coarse paste with red chillies to increase the spice level and cumin seeds for additional flavor. This is either steamed or fried in oil. Boiled vegetables are added and the whole mixture is seasoned, cooked till perfection. Grated coconut may be added for extra flavor. I have already posted kothavarangai paruppu usili (cluster beans paruppu usili) that was prepared by steaming dal. Here in this recipe we are going to prepare beans paruppu usili by frying the dal paste in oil. This method is tastier but steaming method is healthier. Here is how to make this beans paruppu usili.
Beans Paruppu Usili Recipe:
Cuisine : South Indian – Tamilnadu
Category : Side dish for rice
Makes : 4 servings
Preparation Time : 10 min + 1 hr for soaking
Cooking Time : 20 min
1 cup : 240 ml
- 2 cups Chopped Beans
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Sugar (optional)
- Salt as required
- 1/3 cup Toor Dal
- 2 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- A sprig of Curry Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 3 tbsp Oil
1. Wash and soak toor dal, chana dal together for 1 hour.
2. Take the chopped beans in a bowl. Pour water till they are immersed. Add salt, sugar and let it boil. Adding sugar is optional. It helps to retain the green colour of the beans. I got fresh green beans from the grocery store. As I didn’t want to lose that beautiful green colour, I added a little sugar.
3. Let it boil and cook till they are done.
4. Drain the water and keep the vegetable aside.
5. Drain the water from the dal. Add red chillies, grated coconut, cumin seeds and salt.
6. Grind to a coarse paste. Add a little water only if required.
7. Heat oil in a pan. Season with mustard, urad dal, curry leaves and asafoetida.
8. Add the coarse dal paste.
9. Add turmeric powder and keep on stirring as the dal will stick to the bottom of the pan.
10. Saute till the dal is cooked. It will take around 3-5 min.
11. Add the boiled beans.
12. Mix well and cook for 2 min. Switch off the stove. Beans paruppu usili is ready to be served !