If it is a special occasion in India, especially in the southern states, food is traditionally served on banana leaves. Eating food on a clean green banana leaf is a custom that is followed even today. Tip of the leaf should be at the left of the one who is eating. It is cleaned by sprinkling water and then the food is served.
Banana leaf is believed to provide many benefits some of which are listed below.
- Natural and chemical free.
- It is believed to have anti-bacterial properties that kill various bacteria and germs in the food.
- Believed to reduce aging.
- Since they are easily disposable and biodegradable, they can be used instead of disposable paper/plastic plates.
- Polyphenols in the banana leaves are natural antioxidants that prevent cancer. Hot food served on these leaves will absorb these polyphenols.
- Lends a distinct flavour to the food.
- Contains polyphenol oxidase that helps fight Parkinson’s disease.
With these things in mind, let us try to eat food on these leaves atleast once in a week. You can also line bowls with banana leaves, place the hot food on it and cover the bowl till you serve the food. This is another way to obtain the benefits. Eat healthy and live happily!