Carrot Dal – Healthy and nutritious dal made with toor dal, carrot and tomato as main ingredients.
Carrot dal recipe with step by step photos. If your toddler is bored with the same old plain dal rice, you may try this carrot dal that is not only delicious but also healthy and nutritious. This carrot dal is packed with protein, essential vitamins and minerals. I make this dal for my son at least once in a week. Mix this with mashed rice and add a few drops of ghee. Your cute little one will definitely love this !
Activity 1 : Alphabet Fishing
Parenting is one of the toughest and happiest jobs on this earth. One of the difficult tasks of parenting is to keep children away from television and other gadgets. I am always on the lookout for fun activities to keep my son engaged. Even if you buy an expensive toy for them, kids play only for 10 min and throw it away. But simple things available in our home can do magic to keep them active and engaged. So I just thought of posting the activities that my son and I do in our home, along with the post of toddler recipes. Here is my first activity – alphabet fishing.
Things required – A small tub or wide vessel, foam alphabets, water, strainer, towel and bowl.
Preparation – Spread a towel over the floor (kids will definitely spill water ). Fill the tub or wide vessel with water. Throw in the foam alphabets.
Please do not leave them unattended !
1. Name any alphabet. Ask your kid to take it out using the strainer and put into the bowl.
2. Name any colour. Ask your kid to take all the alphabets of that color and put them into the bowl.
Carrot Dal Recipe:
Cuisine : Indian
Category : Dal
Makes : 1 serving
Preparation Time : 5-10 min
Cooking Time : 20-25 min
- 1 medium size Carrot
- 1/8 cup Toor Dal
- A small piece of Tomato
- 1 small clove Garlic
- A generous pinch of Cumin Seeds
- A generous pinch of Turmeric Powder
- 2 pinches Asafoetida
- Coriander Leaves, chopped
- Salt as required
1. Wash the toor dal twice or thrice and drain the water.
2. Pour water till they are immersed.
3. Wash the carrot and peel the skin. Cut into rounds.
4. Cut the tomato piece roughly.
5. Peel the garlic.
6. Add the sliced carrot, tomato, garlic, cumin seeds, turmeric powder and asafoetida to the dal.
7. Pressure cook till they are soft. You may cook this along with rice in a separate bowl.
8. Mash the dal while it is hot.
9. Add salt, chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Add some water if the dal is very thick. As fresh coriander leaves have more nutritional benefits, I am adding them at last after pressure cooking.
10. Healthy carrot dal is ready to be served ! Serve this with rice and a few drops of ghee ! Always melt the ghee before using (not required if you are adding ghee to hot rice).
1. Keep all the ingredients ready.
2. Wash toor dal and pour water till they are immersed.
3. Peel and slice the carrot. Cut the tomato piece roughly. Peel the garlic.
4. Add the sliced carrot, tomato, garlic, cumin seeds, turmeric powder and asafoetida to the dal.
5. Pressure cook till they are soft.
6. Mash the dal while it is hot.
7. Add salt, chopped coriander leaves and mix well.