This cashew pulao is a good example of how a delicious food can be prepared without tons of ingredients. It was truly yummy with a lovely mild aroma. Accompanied by a gravy, this can make an awesome meal for guests. I served it with Matar Mushroom. Prepare it at least one hour before serving and keep the pressure cooker closed for the flavors to blend well.
Cuisine : Indian
Category : Main course – Lunch
Serves : 2-3
Preparation Time : 20 min (15 min for soaking rice)
Cooking Time : 30 min
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 15-20 Cashews (whole)
- 1 each of Star anise, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 Green chillies
- A handful of Mint leaves
- 2 tbsp Chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 2 cups Water (or 1 cup Water + 1 cup thin Coconut Milk)
- Salt as required
1. Wash the basmati rice 2-3 times and soak in water for 15 minutes.
2. Clean the mint leaves. Chop the coriander leaves after cleaning. Slit the green chillies.
3. Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker. Add the whole spices and fry for 2-3 seconds. Add the green chillies and ginger garlic paste. Saute till the raw smell goes. Add the mint leaves and coriander. Saute till they wilt. Meanwhile heat 2 cups of water.
4. Add the cashews and fry till they turn light brown.
5. Strain the rice and add. Fry for 2 minutes.
6. Add 2 cups of hot water and salt. Mix well and taste the water to check the salt. Add salt if required. The aroma of the spices will be infused with the rice after pressure cooking.
7. Close the lid. Pressure cook over medium flame till 2 whistles.