Chena Vazhakkai Erissery – A traditional onam sadya recipe prepared by cooking yam and raw banana in a coconut paste.
Erissery is one of those dishes served in a traditional onam sadya. I was looking out for an authentic recipe for erissery and finally got this recipe from a malayalam cookery show. I made a few changes to the procedure. Kerala food is often associated with coconut. Erissery is not an exception! It is prepared by cooking yam and raw banana in a coconut paste. If you want to cut down fat, you can reduce the amount of coconut and skip ghee. The cook of that show told that erissery is traditionally made with yam and raw banana. Preparing erissery with yellow pumpkin is also common. Here goes the recipe for this delicious Chena Vazhakkai Erissery!
Here are some onam sadya recipes.
Chena Vazhakkai Erissery Recipe:
Cuisine : Indian – Kerala
Category : Side dish for rice
Makes : 3 servings
Preparation Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 20 min
1 cup : 240 ml
- 1 cup cubed Yam
- 1/2 cup cubed Raw Banana
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coconut Oil
- Salt as required
- 1/3 cup Grated Coconut
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Red Chilli, broken
- 1/4 cup Grated Coconut
- 1/4 tsp Pepper Powder
- A sprig of Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
1. Grind grated coconut and cumin seeds to a fine paste by adding some water.
2. Take the cubed raw banana and yam in a pan.
3. Add red chilli powder, pepper powder, turmeric powder, salt, coconut oil and half a cup of water.
4. Let it cook till the vegetables become soft.
5. Add the ground coconut paste. Mix well and cook for a minute or two. Add water if the mixture is too dry.
6. Heat ghee and coconut oil in a pan. Add the urad dal, cumin seeds, red chilli and curry leaves. Fry till the urad dal changes colour.
7. Now add the grated coconut and pepper powder. Fry till the coconut becomes dark brown in colour.
8. Add this seasoning to the erissery and mix well. Let it cook for a minute. Delicious Chena Vazhakkai Erissery is ready to be served with steamed rice!