Gobi 65 – Cauliflower florets coated with spices, flour and deep fried in oil until crispy and golden.
It is impossible to stop munching this extremely addictive crispy snack widely known as gobi 65 or cauliflower 65. It is very simple to make this at home. Cauliflower florets are coated with spices, flour and deep fried in hot oil until golden brown. This is our family favorite which explains why it disappears quickly. It tastes delicious without any accompaniment but you may serve with tomato ketchup or even pudina chutney. Make gobi 65 for your evening snack and enjoy with a cup of hot tea or coffee!
Gobi 65 Recipe:
Cuisine : Indian
Category : Snacks / Appetizers
Makes : 5 servings
Preparation Time : 15 min
Cooking Time : 25-30 min
1 cup : 240 ml
- 1 large Cauliflower
- 3 tbsp Maida
- 2 tbsp Rice Flour
- 1/4 cup Corn Flour
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 cup Thick Curd
- 2 pinches Baking Powder or Cooking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Sugar
- Salt as required
- Oil for deep frying
- Curry Leaves for garnishing
1. Cut the cauliflower into florets and put them in medium-hot & salted water for 5 minutes. Let them not cook in hot water. Drain the water and wash in cold water twice. Wipe them dry with a clean kitchen towel.
2. In a large bowl, take curd, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, pepper powder, turmeric powder, baking powder or cooking soda, sugar and salt.
3. Mix them very well.
4. Add the cleaned cauliflower florets.
5. Mix well so that all the pieces are coated with the masala.
6. Add maida, rice flour and corn flour.
7. Mix well to coat all the pieces evenly. Cover the bowl and let it marinate for 20-30 min.
8. Heat oil in a pan. Drop a small bit in oil. If it comes to the surface of the oil soon, it means the oil has attained the right temperature. Drop some cauliflower florets in oil carefully.
9. Fry till the florets become golden brown in colour. Note the following while frying.
- Do not drop many florets at a time. If the oil is overcrowded, the temperature of the oil comes down and frying doesn’t happen properly. Also the florets do not become crispy.
- Oil should be hot. If you drop a small piece, it should come up with a sizzling sound.
- Do not let the oil smoke. If you drop the florets at this point, the outer part becomes brown/black soon and the inner part doesn’t get cooked.
- Fry till the bubbles stop.
- After taking out each batch, give some time, say 20-30 seconds, for the oil to attain the right temperature again. Do not drop the next batch as soon as you take out the previous one.