An array of global dishes made their way into our cuisine and were indianized to suit the local taste. Gobi Manchurian finds a place in that list. Such is their popularity that we prefer this to any other Indian appetizers. We can hardly see someone who doesn’t like this dish which is a composite of flavors and textures. You can recreate the taste of restaurant at home but dishing out this delicacy requires time and effort. You also need time to enjoy the delicious outcome of all your efforts 🙂 The crispy and juicy cauliflowers coated with a flavorful sauce goes well with any fried rice and noodles. Preparing dry gobi manchurian requires very little change from this recipe which I have given under ‘Notes’. Here goes the recipe of the gobi manchurian with gravy.
Cuisine : Indo Chinese
Category : Side dish
Serves : 5
Preparation Time : 15 min
Cooking Time : 40 min
- 1 big Cauliflower
- 7 tbsp Maida
- 7 tbsp Corn Flour (For frying) + 2 tbsp Corn Flour (For sauce)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 1/2 tsp Pepper Powder
- 1 Onion
- 1 small Capsicum
- 2 tsp Chopped Ginger
- 1 tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 2 tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 1/4 tsp Sugar (optional)
- 6 sprigs Spring Onions
- Salt as required
- 2 tbsp Oil + Oil for frying
1. Wash and cut the cauliflower into florets. Soak in warm water for 15 minutes for the insects and worms to come out. Drain the water and wash well with cold water again.
2. Chop the onion. Cube the capsicum.
3. Chop the white and green portions of the spring onion separately. Reserve some for garnishing.
4. Add maida, 7 tbsp corn flour, ginger garlic paste, 1 & 1/2 tsp pepper powder, salt and
1 & 1/2 tsp soya sauce to the cauliflower florets. Sprinkle very little water and mix well so that the cauliflower is coated well.
5. Deep fry this in hot oil till they turn golden brown (The colour of the manchurian depends on the colour of the fried cauliflower).
6. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add chopped onion, chopped ginger, chopped garlic, chopped spring onion white, sugar and cubed capsicum together. Saute on high heat with a pinch of salt till they are cooked but crunchy.
7. Add the tomato sauce, the remaining soya sauce and the remaining pepper powder. Mix well and saute for a minute.
8. Dissolve 2 tbsp corn flour in 3 cups of water (water should be either cold or at room temperature). Add and stir till the mixture becomes glossy. This mixture shouldn’t be too thick. If it is thick it will be difficult to coat the cauliflower with this sauce. The mixture shouldn’t be too thick or too thin. So add water if required to get the right consistency.
9. Add the fried cauliflower and chopped spring onion green. Mix well so that they are coated well. Garnish with spring onions and serve hot!