Green Peas Curry – A south indian style green peas curry made with roasted and ground coconut masala. It goes great with roti, steamed rice, dosa and idiyappam.
This is a typical south indian style green peas curry made with roasted and ground coconut masala. If you are looking for a side dish recipe without ginger and garlic, this green peas curry can be a good choice. This finger-licking good curry makes a great pair with roti, steamed rice, dosa and idiyappam. Though fresh green peas makes the best curry, frozen/dried peas may also be used. Check out the ‘notes’ section for using frozen or dried peas. Here is the recipe of this awesome south indian style green peas curry.
Green Peas Curry Recipe:
Cuisine : South Indian
Category : Side dish for roti / rice
Makes : 5 servings
Preparation Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 25-30 min
1 cup : 240 ml
- 1 cup Green Peas
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- A sprig of Curry Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt as required
To roast & grind:
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Red Chilli
- 1 tbsp Roasted Gram Dal (Pottukadalai)
- 1/2 cup Grated Coconut
- 2 tsp Oil
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black pepper, red chilli and roasted gram dal. Fry till the roasted gram dal turns light brown.
2. Add the grated coconut. Fry for just 10 seconds and switch off the flame.
3. Let this mixture cool down. Add some water and grind to a fine paste.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and wait till it splutters.
5. Add the chopped onions and curry leaves. Sprinkle some salt and saute till they become pink.
6. Add asafoetida and mix well.
7. Now add the chopped tomatoes and saute till they become mushy.
8. Add the green peas and turmeric powder. Fry for 3 minutes.
9. Add 1 & 1/2 cups water and salt. Let this boil till the green peas is cooked.
10. Add the ground masala and mix well. If the coconut masala is thick, they form lumps when added to the boiling curry, as it contains coriander seeds and roasted chana dal. So mix some water with the masala before adding.
11. Switch off the flame when the curry starts boiling. South Indian style green peas curry is ready to be served! This goes well with rotis, steamed rice, dosa and idiyappam.