Idichakka Thoran – A delicious kerala style unripe jackfruit stir fry flavored with coconut and other spices.
Idichakka Thoran is a traditional dish of Kerala made with tender jackfruit. Chopping the unripe jackfruit demands time and effort but you will be definitely satisfied with the result. This can be enjoyed with steamed rice and any curry. It has a wonderful aroma of fresh coconut and coconut oil, characteristic of any kerala food. Apart from coconut, easily available ingredients are used to add flavor to this dish. Do try this and let me know how it turned out for you. Here goes the recipe of Idichakka Thoran!
Here are some kerala recipes.
Idichakka Thoran Recipe:
Cuisine : Indian – Kerala
Category : Side dish for rice
Makes : 4 servings
Preparation Time : 15 min
Cooking Time : 15-20 min
- 1 small Unripe Jackfruit (Idichakka)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- Salt as required
- 2 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 2 Green Chillies
- 3 Small Onions
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 Red Chilli, broken
- A sprig of Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Oil
1. Grind all the items given under ‘To Grind’ coarsely, without adding water.
2. Take the unripe jackfruit. Apply oil on your hand to prevent the skin from becoming black. Cut into halves and again into smaller chunks. Remove the thick thorny outer skin, centre stalk and seeds if any. Chop them roughly.
3. Take these pieces in a saucepan. Pour water till they are immersed. Add water and turmeric powder. Let it boil till they are cooked.
4. Strain the excess water. Pulse the cooked pieces in a mixer grinder for a few seconds. Don’t run the mixer continuously. The pieces might become a paste. Pulse carefully to shred the pieces.
5. Heat oil in a pan (I used groundnut oil. Use coconut oil to get the authentic taste). Season with mustard, red chilli and curry leaves.
6. Add the shredded unripe jackfruit, salt and ground coconut masala.
7. Saute till the raw smell disappears. This takes about 7-8 min. I added a teaspoon of coconut oil at last since I didn’t use coconut oil for seasoning. Serve this delicious idichakka thoran with steamed rice.