Cooking this dish will definitely fill your home with the aroma of fresh coriander leaves. The taste of this thokku is beyond words. Each ingredient added, imparts a wonderful flavor and makes it irresistible. This is one of the best accompaniments for curd rice. You can also mix it with steamed rice and serve. This stays good for upto a week when refrigerated. Make it the easy way with this recipe and relish a preservative-free, delicious, homemade fresh coriander leaves thokku!
Cuisine : South Indian
Category : Pickles/Thokkus
Makes : 3/4 cup
Preparation Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 15 min
- 5 cups Coriander leaves ( loosely packed )
- A small lemon sized Tamarind
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek
- 5 Red chillies
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 3 tbsp Gingelly oil
1. Soak tamarind in water.
2. Wash the coriander leaves till the mud particles are washed off completely (Washing the leaves several times also helps to remove the pesticides and insecticides).
3. Dry roast the mustard and fenugreek. Fry the red chillies in a few drops of oil till they change colour.
4. Take the mustard, fenugreek and red chillies in a blender. Grind to a powder.
5. Add the coriander leaves and tamarind. Grind to a paste by adding required water for grinding (Don’t add more water).
6. Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard and allow it to splutter. Add asafoetida. Mix well and add the ground paste and salt.
7. Mix well. Cook till the moisture evaporates and the oil separates.