A healthy combination of cluster beans and dal, this traditional dish of Tamilnadu is usually served with mor kuzhambhu or vatral kuzhambhu.
Paruppu Usili is a traditional dish of Tamilnadu. This dish has an interesting texture and is generally served with Mor Kuzhambhu or Vatral Kuzhambhu. It is usually prepared with Cluster Beans (Kothavarangai) or French Beans or Vazhai Poo (Plantain Flower). The boiled vegetables are mixed with coarsely ground dal that is either steamed or sauteed in oil. I usually steam the dal for paruppu usili as steaming is healthy and the food is light. You can also saute the mixture in oil but the ground dal will consume more oil. Let us learn how to make kothavarangai paruppu usili in this post.
Cuisine : Indian – Tamilnadu
Category : Side dish for rice
Serves : 3
Preparation Time : 10 min + 1 hr soaking time for dal
Cooking Time : 20 min
- 1 cup Chopped Cluster Beans (Kothavarangai)
- 1/3 cup Chana Dal
- 3 Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt as required
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- A sprig of Curry Leaves
- 2 pinches of Asafoetida
- 2 tsp Oil
How to make Kothavarangai Paruppu Usili?
1. Soak chana dal in water for 1 hour and grind to a coarse paste with red chillies, cumin seeds, salt and asafoetida.
2. Steam this mixture in idli cooker (oil should be applied to the mould) or steamer for 10 min (or till they are cooked). Crumble this mixture with hands or pulse in a mixer grinder for a few seconds. The mixture should be coarse. Don’t grind it to a fine powder.
3. Cook the chopped cluster beans till they become soft but firm.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and curry leaves. Wait till the mustard splutters. Add asafoetida and mix well.
5. Add the cooked vegetables, turmeric powder and saute for 2 min.
6. Now add the crumbled dal and saute over medium flame for 3-4 minutes. Serve hot with steamed rice and mor kuzhambhu / vatral kuzhambhu.