Mamidikaya Pappu – A popular dal of andhra made by cooking raw mango with dal and other spices.
A variety of dal, chutneys made with vegetables, biryani, delicious curries – The delectable cuisine of andhra has much more to offer! Mamidikaya pappu (raw mango dal) is a popular dal of andhra that is usually served with steamed rice. It is made by cooking raw mango with dal which is then seasoned with spices. Green and red chillies balance the tangy taste of dal. Use sour and firm raw mangoes for an excellent taste. Ladle this delicious and tangy mamidikaya pappu over steamed rice topped with ghee and serve with any dry vegetable curry.
Mamidikaya Pappu Recipe:
Cuisine : South Indian – Andhra
Category : Curries for rice
Makes : 4 servings
Preparation Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 25 min
Click below to watch the video.
1 cup : 240 ml
- 3/4 cup Toor dal
- 1/2 cup Raw Mango Cubes (peel & cube)
- 2 Green Chillies, cut into pieces
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 sprigs Coriander Leaves, chopped
- Salt as required
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Red Chillies, broken
- 4 cloves Garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- A sprig of Curry Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Oil/Ghee
1. Wash the toor dal well and drain the water.
2. Add cubed raw mango, green chillies, turmeric powder to the dal and pour water.
3. Pressure cook till 2 whistles. Now reduce the flame and cook for 5 min. Switch off the stove and wait till the pressure is released.
4. Mash the dal slightly if you do not want a smooth texture.
5. Add salt and required water. Mix well.
6. Heat oil/ghee in a pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
7. Add broken red chillies, curry leaves, crushed garlic and asafoetida.
8. Fry for 4-5 seconds.
9. Add the seasoning to the dal.
10. Add water if the dal is very thick. Mix everything well.
11.Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and serve the delicious mamidikaya pappu with steamed rice, ghee and potato kara curry.