Mathan Pachadi – Kerala style pumpkin pachadi made by cooking yellow pumpkin with freshly ground coconut masala and curd. It is then seasoned using coconut oil.
This is a typical kerala style pumpkin pachadi that is mildly sweet with a semi-gravy consistency. It is usually served with steamed rice and molagootal. I got this recipe from a cookery show. The recipe was new to me as we do not prepare such pachadi at home. I guess it is the addition of curd that made me try this recipe soon 🙂 I love any curd based dish. The taste of this mathan pachadi was too good. Here is the recipe of this kerala style mathan pachadi.
Mathan Pachadi Recipe:
Cuisine : South Indian – Kerala
Category : Side dish for rice
Makes : 3-4 servings
Preparation Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 15-20 min
1 cup : 240 ml
- 3 cups Cubed Yellow Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup Curd
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt as required
- 1/4 cup Grated Coconut
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Mustard
- 1 Red Chilli, broken
- A sprig of Curry Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
1. Grind all the ingredients given under ‘for grinding’ coarsely, by adding a little water.
2. Take the yellow pumpkin cubes in a vessel and pour water till they are immersed.
3. Let it boil.
4. Cook till they become soft. The pieces should also hold their shape.
5. Drain the excess water and reserve. You may use this water if the pachadi becomes too thick. Take the boiled yellow pumpkin, ground paste, turmeric powder and salt in a pan. Add some reserved water.
6. Mix them well.
7. Cook till the raw smell goes off completely.
8. Beat the curd without any lumps and add to the pan.
9. Mix well and switch off after 30 seconds. Do not let it boil.
10. Heat coconut oil in a pan. Season with mustard, red chilli and curry leaves. Add this seasoning to the pachadi and mix well. Delicious kerala style mathan pachadi is ready to be served with steamed rice!