Methi Tofu – Tofu chunks cooked in a rich and spicy gravy with the unique aroma of fresh methi leaves and distinct flavor of kasoori methi.
When I pick up fresh produce from the grocery store, I cook them as healthy as possible without overloading the food with spices and oil. But there are days when I want to indulge in some rich gravies. When I had a craving for a rich gravy last week, I decided to prepare this rich, creamy side dish for rotis as I had a fresh bunch of methi leaves and tofu in hand. Tofu is a good source of protein. This dish has the unique aroma of fresh methi leaves and distinct flavor of kasoori methi. Try this and you will definitely enjoy every bit!
Methi Tofu Recipe:
Cuisine : Indian
Category : Side dish for roti/rice
Makes : 4 servings
Preparation Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 20 min
1 cup : 240 ml
- 175 g Tofu, cubed (I used extra firm tofu)
- 1 cup Chopped Methi Leaves
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 2 big tomatoes, pureed (or) 1 cup Tomato Puree
- 2 Green Chillies, slit
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Kasoori Methi
- 1 tsp Butter
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Cinnamon
- 1 Clove
- 1 Cardamom
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Butter
1. Press the tofu gently between your palms to squeeze out the excess water and cube them.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add 1 tsp butter and the spices given under ‘For Seasoning’ (If butter is added at first,). Fry for a second.
3. Add chopped onions and slit green chillies. Sprinkle salt and saute till they become golden brown.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes off. (I forgot to add after the onions. So I added after sauteing methi leaves.)
5. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and cumin powder. Saute till the raw smell goes off. Spinkle some water if the mixture is too dry.
6. Now add the chopped fresh methi leaves. Fry till they are cooked.
7. Pour the tomato puree. Add some salt and cook till the oil leaves the sides.
8. Add 1/2 cup of water and allow it to boil.
9. Add the cubed tofu and mix gently.
10. Pour the milk. Mix and cook for a minute. Milk gives a creamy taste to this dish. You can skip this step if you prefer spicy taste to creamy taste.
11. Crush kasoori methi between your palms and add to the curry. Add a tsp of butter for a rich flavor.
12. Mix everything without breaking the tofu chunks. Delicious Methi Tofu is ready to be served with rotis and rice!