Mint Coconut Chutney – A delicious chutney made with freshly grated coconut and fresh mint leaves. It has a refreshing flavor with a slight tang of tamarind.
Mint Coconut Chutney is a delicious accompaniment that can be served with idli or dosa. This also pairs up well with chapati. It gets its refreshing flavor from the fresh mint leaves. Tamarind adds a slight tang to this chutney. There are many variations that can be done on this recipe, each giving a unique taste. I have given some of the variations below. Try all the methods and follow the one which you love the most. Let us see how to make this delicious mint coconut chutney.
Mint Coconut Chutney Recipe:
Cuisine : Indian
Category : Side dish for idli/dosa/roti
Makes : 4 servings
Preparation Time : 5 min
Cooking Time : 10 min
1 cup : 240 ml
- 1 cup Mint Leaves
- 1/2 cup Grated Coconut
- A small gooseberry size Tamarind
- 1 & 1/2 tsp Chana Dal (Kadalai Paruppu)
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Oil
- Salt as required
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1. Clean and wash the mint leaves.
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry chana dal, red chillies till they change colour.
3. Grind the roasted chana dal and red chillies with mint leaves, grated coconut, tamarind, salt by adding a little water to get the required consistency.
4. In the same oil used for roasting chana dal, season the chutney with mustard and asafoetida. Mint coconut chutney is ready to be served!
Each of the below variations gives a different taste. Try these variations and follow the one which you like the most.
- Saute the mint leaves in oil till they wilt and follow the same procedure.
- Fry the grated coconut in oil till the moisture evaporates and follow the same procedure.
- Saute the mint leaves in oil till they wilt and in the same oil fry the grated coconut till the moisture evaporates. Rest of the recipe is the same as given above.