Murungai Keerai Soup – Healthy and delicious soup made with drumstick leaves and flavored with onion, tomato, pepper and cumin seeds.
It is raining here today. The weather calls for a warm bowl of soup. This time I made my all-time favorite murungai keerai soup. I used to make this like a clear soup. One fine day, I came across this recipe in a cookery show. I made some changes to the recipe to suit my taste. It tasted really good with a blast of flavors.
Drumstick leaves are the storehouse of nutrients. They are rich in essential vitamins and minerals. They are excellent sources of iron and calcium. It is difficult to mention the many benefits of these leaves here. I will write a separate post under articles later. Try this healthy and yummy murungai keerai soup at least once and I am sure you will definitely love it.
Murungai Keerai Soup Recipe:
Cuisine : Indian
Category : Soups
Makes : 3-4 servings
Preparation Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 20-25 min
1 cup : 240 ml
- 1 cup Drumstick Leaves (tightly packed)
- 1 Onion, cubed
- 1 Tomato, cubed
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Corns
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2″ piece Ginger
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 tsp Oil
- Salt as required
1. Wash the drumstick leaves well. Crush ginger and garlic together.
2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add cubed onion, pepper corns and cumin seeds. Sprinkle some salt.
3. Fry till the onions become translucent.
4. Add the cubed tomato.
5. Saute till the skin of tomato shrinks.
6. Cool and grind to a smooth paste.
7. Add 3 cups of water to this paste and strain. This water is the main flavoring ingredient of our soup.
8. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add the crushed ginger + garlic. Fry till the raw smell goes.
9. Add the washed drumstick leaves.
10. Fry for just 1 min.
11. Pour a cup of water. Add turmeric powder and salt to taste.
12. Let it boil till the leaves are cooked.
13. Add the strained onion-tomato water.
14. Simmer for 5-7 min over medium flame to let the juice of drumstick leaves infuse into the soup. Switch off the stove. Healthy murungai keerai soup is ready to be served!