Mushroom Dum Biryani – Basmati rice cooked in dum with a delectable spicy mushroom gravy.
Prepare an array of dishes and call it a feast. People may not agree. Simply put together only one dish, just one dish…Biryani and call it a feast. There is no denying the fact! Every bit of it gives a flavor explosion. A perfectly cooked biryani has this explosion of flavor in every single grain. I am a die-hard fan of biryani cooked by my brother. He has a lot of interest in cooking and makes excellent biryani. I have already posted his vegetarian pad thai recipe.
I make biryani at least once in a week. Each time I try out different combinations and procedures. The best of those recipes make their way to Recibrary. To make this mushroom dum biryani, we are going to prepare a delectable spicy mushroom gravy in pressure cooker and then add rice to the gravy and cook in dum until perfect! This mushroom dum biryani tastes as delicious as it sounds. Mushrooms are an excellent source of protein. It is good to often include them in our diet.
There are several methods and variations to make dum biryani. This is one of the easiest methods that I follow. I have already shared Aloo Dum Biryani made using this method. I love this method as it is simple and comes out perfect each time. I usually cook biryanis atleast 2-3 hrs before serving. The resting time is essential for the flavors to blend well with the rice. Do try out this lip-smacking mushroom dum biryani and let me know how it turned out for you.
Mushroom Dum Biryani Recipe:
Cuisine : Indian
Category : Rice varieties
Makes : 6 servings
Preparation Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 50 min
1 cup : 240 ml
- 3 cups Basmati Rice
- 200 g Mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Onions, sliced
- 2 big Tomatoes
- 1 cup Mint Leaves (loosely packed)
- 1/2 cup Coriander Leaves (loosely packed)
- 3 Green Chillies, slit
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp Biryani Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- Salt as required
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 2″ piece Ginger
- 15 cloves Garlic
- 1″ piece Cinnamon
- 2 Cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1″ piece Cinnamon
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Cardamom
1. Wash and soak the basmati rice in water for 20 min. Clean and slice the mushrooms. Check how to clean the mushrooms here.
2. Grind all the items given under ‘For Grinding’ to a fine paste by using a little water (The quantity of this paste was 1/2 cup). Grind the tomatoes to a paste.
3. Heat oil+ghee in a pressure cooker. Add the ingredients required for seasoning. Fry for 3-4 seconds. Add the sliced onions and slit green chillies. Sprinkle salt and saute till they become translucent.
4. Add the cleaned mint leaves and chopped coriander leaves. Saute till the mixture becomes brown.
5. Add the ground masala paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
6. Add the tomato paste and mix well. Add the biryani masala powder, red chilli powder, pepper powder and salt. Cook till the raw smell disappears completely.
7. Add the sliced mushrooms and mix well.
8. Pour 3 cups of water. Close the pressure cooker and cook till 1 whistle. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
9. Drain the water from the rice and add to the gravy. Check salt and add if required.
10. Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves.
11. Cover the pressure cooker base with a lid that closes tightly. Keep a flat bottomed vessel filled with water (preferably hot) on top. No steam should escape from the cooker. You can also seal the edges with wheat flour / maida dough if steam escapes through the gap.
12. Cook for 25-30 min over low flame.
13. Switch off the flame and let it rest for another 30 min. Do not open the lid before that. When kept covered, the flavors blend with the rice very well.
14. Open the lid.
15. Mix the biryani carefully taking care not to break the rice. Mouth-watering mushroom dum biryani is ready to be served ! A simple raita can be a perfect accompaniment for this excellent biryani.