Nadan Thakkali Curry – A thick and creamy delicious tomato curry made with coconut milk and easily available ingredients.
Coconut is inseparable from the cuisine of Kerala. This is a great recipe to make a delicious side dish for rotis from coconut milk and easily available ingredients. The only major task is to extract the coconut milk. I got this recipe from the cookery show ‘Taste of Kerala’. They served this delicious nadan thakkali curry with roti pathiri, a popular traditional dish of Kerala. This curry has a creamy taste and goes great with chappathis. Try this delicious nadan thakkali curry with rotis and let me know how it turned out for you.
Check out these Kerala recipes at Recibrary!
Nadan Thakkali Curry Recipe:
Cuisine : Indian – Kerala
Category : Side dish for rotis
Makes : 3-4 servings
Preparation Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 15 min
- 2 medium size Onions, sliced
- 2 big Tomatoes, cut into big pieces
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 2 Green Chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- A sprig of Curry Leaves
- 2 sprigs of Coriander Leaves
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- Salt as required
1. Heat coconut oil in a pan (I used peanut oil). Add mustard and let it splutter. Add curry leaves and chopped green chillies. Fry for 4-5 seconds.
2. Add sliced onions and saute with a pinch of salt till they become brown.
3. Add the tomato pieces and saute till they are cooked.
4. Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Fry till the raw smell goes off completely.
5. Add the coconut milk and mix well. Do not allow this to boil. Switch off the stove once it starts bubbling.
6. Sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves. Serve the delicious Nadan Thakkali Curry with roti pathiri or chappathi.