Paneer Kalimirch – Soft chunks of paneer simmered in a creamy curry that is strongly flavored with pepper.
Paneer Kalimirch is an incredibly delicious curry with a creamy flavor and spiced up with black pepper. I adapted this from the recipe of Masterchef Pankaj Bhadouria. I made some changes to suit our taste and it tasted just awesome. Soft chunks of paneer are simmered in a creamy curry that is strongly flavored with pepper. They make an excellent accompaniment for any Indian flatbreads and rice varieties. Here is the recipe of this lip-smacking paneer kalimirch!
Paneer Kalimirch Recipe:
Cuisine : North Indian
Category : Side dish for roti / pulao
Makes : 5 servings
Preparation Time : 5 min
Cooking Time : 20-25 min
1 cup : 240 ml
- 2 cups Cubed Paneer
- 2 Onions, sliced
- 1 Green Chilli, slit
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3/4 cup Curd
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 8 Black Pepper Corns
- 1/4 cup Milk or 2 tbsp Fresh Cream
- 1 tsp Kasoori Methi
- Salt as required
- 2 tbsp Oil
1. Put the cubed paneer in salted hot water. I feel this makes the paneer soft and they just melt in the mouth after cooking. This step is optional.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Saute the sliced onions and slit green chilli with some salt till they become translucent. Grind to a fine paste with a little water.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the pepper powder, cumin powder, garam masala, whole pepper corns and fry for 5-6 seconds over medium flame (The powders burn if the oil is too hot or the flame is high).
4. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off completely.
5. Add the onion paste. Beat the curd well and add. Mix everything well. Add some water and salt to taste. Cook till the raw smell disappears. This takes around 6-8 minutes.
6. Take the paneer out of the water and add to the curry. Simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Add milk or fresh cream and mix gently. Let the curry cook for a minute.
8. Switch off the flame. Crush the kasoori methi between your palms and add. Add 1/4 tsp pepper powder. Mix everything gently. Delicious paneer kalimirch is ready to be served!