Peerkangai Poricha Kootu – A delicious and flavorful kootu made with ridgegourd, moong dal and a freshly ground special paste. Spices like pepper, cumin seeds, red chilli, urad dal and coconut are fried in oil and ground to make this special paste.
Peerkangai poricha kootu is a traditional side dish made in Tamilnadu. It is very flavorful and pairs up well with rice and vatha kuzhambu. Spices like pepper, cumin seeds, red chilli, urad dal and coconut are fried in oil and ground to make a special paste. Chopped vegetables are cooked with moong dal and this freshly ground special masala. It is usually seasoned with coconut oil that adds an amazing flavor to this kootu. There are some dishes that will please the elders in the family but do not particularly find favour with children. This is one such speciality Poricha kootu is something that I hated as a child but started to develop a taste for this as I grew up. Try this peerkangai poricha kootu and I am sure at least the elders in your family will love it
Peerkangai Poricha Kootu Recipe:
Cuisine : South Indian – Tamilnadu
Category : Side dish for rice
Makes : 6 servings
Preparation Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 20-25 min
1 cup : 240 ml
- 4 & 1/2 cups Chopped Ridgegourd (Peerkangai)
- 3 tbsp Moong Dal
- Salt as required
For roasting & grinding:
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Corns
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 2 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- A sprig of Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
1. Peel and chop the ridgegourd. You can include the seeds if they are tender. Pressure cook the moong dal till soft and mash well.
2. Take the chopped ridgegourd in a large bowl. Pour water till they are immersed and add some salt. Cook till they become soft. Drain the water. This water can be used in soups, sambar or rasam.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, pepper, red chilli and urad dal. Fry till they change colour. Add grated coconut and fry till it becomes brown. Add a little water and grind to a fine paste.
4. Heat coconut oil in a pan. Season with the ingredients required for seasoning.
5. Add cooked ridgegourd, cooked and mashed moong dal, turmeric powder and salt (if required). Mix everything well. Add some water if required.
6. Add the ground paste and mix well. Let it come to a boil and then switch off the flame. Peerkangai poricha kootu is ready to be served!