Poori Masala – Boiled and mashed potatoes cooked with onions, green chillies, ginger and other spices to the required consistency.
For all those lovers of poori, poori masala or poori kizhangu is always an enticing option to be had with crispy and puffy hot pooris. Nothing can compete with this to make that perfect match. Boiled and mashed potatoes are cooked with onion, green chillies, ginger and other spices to the required consistency. Some like it dry, some go for a mushy masala while some people may have a craving for a masala spiced up with ginger and garlic. Whatever be the form, it is indeed delicious!
Check out some useful tips for making pooris.
Here are some delicious side dishes for rotis and pooris.
Gobi Manchurian (With Gravy)
Aloo Matar Masala | Potato Peas Masala
Restaurant Style White Kurma | Vellai Kurma
Soya Chunks Manchurian
Nadan Thakkali Curry | Kerala Style Tomato Curry
Poori Masala Recipe:
Cuisine : South Indian
Category : Side dish for Poori/Roti
Makes : 4 servings
Preparation Time : 20 min (includes cooking time for boiling potatoes)
Cooking Time : 15 min
1 cup : 240 ml
- 3 large Potaotes
- 2 Onions, sliced
- 2 Green Chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp Chopped Ginger
- A sprig of Curry Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Besan Flour
- Salt as required
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp Oil
1. Pressure cook the potatoes till soft. Let them cool and peel the skin. Mash it with your fingers.
2. Heat oil in a pan and season with mustard, urad dal, chana dal. Add the sliced onions, chopped green chillies, chopped ginger, curry leaves, asafoetida and saute with a pinch of salt till they become translucent.
3. Add a cup of water and cook till they become soft.
4. Add the mashed potatoes and mix well.
5. Add some water to get the required consistency. Mix besan flour with water and pour into the pan.
6. Let it boil till it becomes slightly thick. Delicious poori masala is ready to be served! Here are some useful tips for making poori.