Rice with Mushroom Curry in Banana Leaf – Fragrance of basmati rice, appetizing aroma of mushroom curry paired up with the unique smell of banana leaf is just out-of-the-world !
Rice with Mushroom Curry in Banana Leaf recipe with step by step photos and video. I love the flavor of food packed in banana leaves. When hot food is served on banana leaves, the food absorbs the polyphenols present in these leaves. These polyphenols are antioxidants that prevent cancer. Read this article to know more about the benefits of eating food on banana leaf.
I have come across many dishes cooked in banana leaf. As I had some leftover banana leaves that I got for pongal, I just thought of trying one of those dishes. The first recipe on my list was yam pollichadhu. As I didn’t get fresh yam, I thought of giving this recipe a try. I got the idea for this recipe from the famous podhi choru of kerala. Here is my take on it.
The flavor of rice with mushroom curry in banana leaf is undescribable! Though the entire process demands time and work, it is completely worth the effort. The fragrance of basmati rice, appetizing aroma of mushroom curry paired up with the unique smell of banana leaf is just out-of-the-world ! You will surely fall in love with the aroma that wafts out of the kitchen. Give this a try and you will definitely agree with me.
Rice with Mushroom Curry in Banana Leaf Recipe:
Cuisine : Indian
Category : Lunch
Makes : 2 servings
Preparation Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 40 min + time taken for cooking basmati rice
Click the below video to learn how to make rice with mushroom curry in banana leaf.
- 1/2 cup Basmati Rice
- Banana Leaves for wrapping
- Ghee for greasing
- Few slices of Onion
- 1 tsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Salt as required
For Mushroom Curry:
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 small Tomato, finely chopped
- 6 small Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 3/4 tsp Black Peppercorns
- A sprig of Curry Leaves
- Salt as required
- 1 tbsp Oil
1. Wash the basmati rice in water twice or thrice. Drain the water completely.
2. Pour a cup of water till they are immersed. Keep it aside for 10 minutes. Pressure cook till it is cooked well.
3. Let the pressure release on its own. Fluff up the rice and keep it aside.
4. Wash the banana leaves taking care not to tear them. Gently wipe them dry.
5. Grind grated coconut, fennel seeds and black peppercorns to a paste by adding a little water.
Preparing mushroom curry:
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Add chopped onion and curry leaves. Sprinkle salt and saute till they turn brown.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes off completely.
4. Add chopped tomato and fry till they turn mushy.
5. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and mix well.
6. Pour 1/4 cup water and cook till the raw smell disappears completely.
7. Now add in the ground coconut masala and fry for 2 minutes.
8. Add sliced mushrooms, 1/4 cup water and salt. Mix well so that the masala coats all the pieces.
9. Cook the curry till the mushrooms become soft. Now the mushroom curry is ready.
Preparing banana leaf:
1. Place the cleaned banana leaf over low-medium flame for a few seconds.
2. Turn the leaf and show the other side in low-medium flame for a few seconds.
3. Don’t heat until they change colour. It is enough to heat till the leaves wilt slightly.
4. This is done so that the leaf does not break while folding.
Packing rice & mushroom curry in banana leaf:
1. Take the slightly wilted banana leaf.
2. Pour a few drops of ghee on top and grease the leaf.
3. Place the cooked basmati rice at the centre of the leaf.
4. Now ladle some of the cooked mushroom curry on top of the rice.
5. Put a few onion pieces on top. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves.
6. Pull the top and bottom ends towards the centre.
7. Then fold the sides.
8. Use toothpicks to hold the edges and the rest of the banana leaf parcel together. Be careful not to tear the leaf.
9. Now the banana leaf parcel is ready to be cooked.
Cooking banana leaf parcel:
1. Heat a pan over low-medium flame and place the banana leaf parcel.
2. Cook covered for 6-8 minutes.
3. After 6-8 minutes, flip the parcel.
4. Cook covered for 6-8 minutes.
5. Open the lid and transfer the banana leaf parcel to the serving plate.
Serving rice with mushroom curry in banana leaf:
1. Remove the toothpicks before serving.
2. Open the leaf. Mix the mushroom curry with rice and enjoy!
3. You may add some lemon juice on top. This tastes best when it is hot. Flavor of basmati rice, mushroom curry along with the unique flavor of banana leaf will definitely leave you asking for more.