Hot idlis and crispy dosas served with a generous amount of this kothsu taste heavenly would be an under statement. I learnt this recipe from my MIL. Back in my home, mom prepares delicious brinjal kothsu. Making kothsu with bottle gourd was new to me. Usually we add moong dal for kothsu but no dal is used in this recipe. Try this with idli/dosa and let me know how it turned out!
Cuisine : Indian
Category : Side dish for tiffin
Serves : 3
Preparation Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 20 min
• 300 g Bottle gourd
• 1 Tomato
• 1 Onion
• 2 Green chillies
• 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
• 1 Red chilli
• 1/2 tsp Mustard
• 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
• 1 tbsp Oil
• Salt as required
• A few sprigs of Curry leaves
• A few sprigs of Coriander leaves
1. Peel and chop the bottle gourd. Chop the tomatoes.
2. Pressure cook the bottle gourd, tomatoes, green chillies, cumin seeds, coriander leaves and a cup of water till 2 whistles or until soft.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard. Once it splutters, add the broken red chilli, chopped onions and curry leaves. Fry till golden brown.
4. Add asafoetida and mix well. Grind the pressure cooked bottle gourd mixture to a smooth paste and add. Add salt. Add water if required.
5. Bring it to a boil and serve.