Thakkali Mor Kuzhambu – A delicious curry made with tomato and spiced buttermilk as main ingredients.
I saw this name ‘thakkali mor kuzhambu’ written on a menu board that was kept outside a mess in Chennai. Using tomato in mor kuzhambu interested me a lot and I added this to my to-try list. I came up with my own recipe and tried this last week. It was flavorful and awesome. We enjoyed it with steamed rice and potato fry. If you like idiyappam-mor kuzhambu combination, this thakkali mor kuzhambu can make a delicious accompaniment. The best thing about mor kuzhambu is that you feel light after your meal and this tomato mor kuzhambu is not an exception. Try this thakkali mor kuzhambu and let me know how it turned out for you. Have a good day 😊
Thakkali Mor Kuzhambu Recipe:
Cuisine : South Indian – Tamilnadu
Category : Curries for rice
Makes : 3-4 servings
Preparation Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 10-15 min
1 cup : 240 ml
- 1 cup Thick Curd
- 1 big Tomato, cubed
- 1 tbsp Besan Flour
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt as required
- 1/3 cup Grated Coconut
- 2 Green Chillies
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Fenugreek
- 1 Red Chilli, broken
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Oil
1. Add water to besan flour and mix well without any lumps.
2. Beat the thick curd very well without any lumps. Add 2 cups water and mix well again. Curd should not be too sour as we are going to use tomatoes.
3. Take all the ingredients required for grinding in a mixer grinder. Add some water and grind to a paste.
4. Add the besan flour mixture, coconut masala, salt, turmeric powder to the buttermilk and mix well.
5. Heat oil in a pan. Season with mustard, fenugreek, broken red chilli, curry leaves and asafoetida.
6. Add the cubed tomato.
7. Sprinkle some salt and saute till the skin starts shrinking. Do not cook till they become mushy. Tomato pieces should be visible in the curry. These cooked pieces of tomato tastes yummy!
8. Pour the buttermilk mixture and mix well. Cook over low-medium flame.
9. Switch off the flame once it starts boiling. Delicious thakkali mor kuzhambu is ready to be served with steamed rice!