UrulaiKizhanghu Kara Curry – Boiled potatoes cooked with onions, tomatoes and spices.
UrulaiKizhanghu Kara Curry is a delicious and spicy dish that goes very well with sambar/curd rice. This can also be served with rotis. Adding ginger, garlic and green peas is optional. Boil the potatoes well so that they do not cause digestion problems. Try this super delicious curry and enjoy with rice!
UrulaiKizhanghu Kara Curry Recipe:
Cuisine : Indian – Tamilnadu
Category : Side dish for rice
Makes : 5 servings
Preparation Time : 5 min
Cooking Time : 20-25 min
1 cup : 240 ml
- 5 medium size Potatoes
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- A handful of Fresh / Frozen Green Peas (optional)
- 1 Green Chilli, slit
- 1/2″ piece Ginger
- 2 big cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 sprigs Coriander Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
1. Pressure cook the potatoes till soft (I cooked for 2 whistles and 5 min over low flame). Peel and cube them. Crush the ginger and garlic.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and let it splutter. Add cumin seeds and urad dal. Fry till urad dal changes colour.
3. Add sliced onion, slit green chilli, curry leaves and asafoetida. Sprinkle some salt and saute till the onions become translucent.
4. Add crushed ginger and garlic. Fry till the raw smell goes off.
5. Add chopped tomatoes and saute till they become soft.
6. Add green peas and saute till they are cooked.
7. Add coriander powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
8. Mix well and add 1/4 cup water. Add salt to taste. Cook till the raw smell goes off completely.
9. Add the boiled and cubes potatoes. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle some water if the curry is too dry.
10. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and serve the spicy, delicious UrulaiKizhanghu Kara Curry.